Clinical supervisors are expected to be familiar with and uphold the ethical codes, standards, and practices identified by the American Psychological Association and the American Counseling Association when acting in the role as clinical supervisor. Being familiar with these codes and standards helps to ensure the welfare of the patient as well as the educational and training experience of the supervisee. This assignment will allow the learner to become familiar with the expectations of the American Psychological Association and American Counseling Association. The learner will be able to compare the standards for each standards body and apply the standards to an ethical problem that, as a leader, they may find themselves facing when in the field.
• This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
Write a 1,000–1,250-word paper that discusses an approach to take when faced with an ethical problem. Include the following in your paper:
Order Unique Answer Now
- Review the American Psychological Association and American Counseling Association ethical standards for clinical supervision.
- Compare the philosophies of the two organizations and briefly discuss the history of the organization’s development of these guidelines.
- Identify which organization you tend to favor and why.
- Next, select two scholarly articles that discuss an ethical issue you consider important in one’s role as leader providing clinical supervision.
- Discuss what the research says regarding the chosen ethical issue.
- Discuss the nature of the ethical issue and how the organization you favor addresses the issue in their ethical guidelines.
- Be able to identify the specific guidelines the issue is addressed with by your chosen organization.