A. Discuss how you saw confidentiality demonstrated by staff in the organization (e.g., in attitudes, behaviors, and communication).
1. Explain how you modified your behavior to adapt to an environment in which maintaining confidentiality is required.
• Include comments on your ability to maintain confidentiality when you are speaking to friends or family about the Professional Practice Experience (PPE).
B. Describe any experience that influenced your thoughts on ethics and health information management (HIM), using the AHIMA Code of Ethics as a model.
• Include comments on how the PPE changed your ideas on ethical behaviors in a health information management environment.
• Provide examples of situations in which ethical behaviors were demonstrated by staff or yourself.
C. Discuss the professionalism and leadership skills shown by your clinical preceptor or other managers/leaders you observed. In your discussion, include the following:
• Describe an example in which a manager/leader demonstrated decisive action or handled a difficult situation.
• Explain what you learned from this situation.
• Discuss the supervisory skill sets demonstrated by managers at the organization.
• Reflect on how the mentoring skills demonstrated by your clinical preceptor or others influenced you.
D. Reflect on your professional practice experience (PPE). In your reflection, include the following:
• Comment on how this organization values student engagement and participation in their workplace.
• Describe opportunities given to practice HIM skills and comment on their effectiveness in reinforcing your learning.
• Discuss anything you would have done differently to enhance your learning experience during this PPE.
• Comment on the effectiveness of this learning experience.
E. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
Note: When bulleted points are present in the task prompt, the level of detail or support called for in the rubric refers to those bulleted points.
Note: For definitions of terms commonly used in the rubric, see the Rubric Terms web link included in the Evaluation Procedures section.
Note: When using sources to support ideas and elements in a paper or project, the submission MUST include APA formatted in-text citations with a corresponding reference list for any direct quotes or paraphrasing. It is not necessary to list sources that were consulted if they have not been quoted or paraphrased in the text of the paper or project.
Note: No more than a combined total of 30% of a submission can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. For tips on using APA style, please refer to the APA Handout web link included in the General Instructions section.