HA535: Data Analysis for Health Professionals – Childhood Obesity in America – PowerPoint Presentation
- Childhood obesity is a health-based concern that has continually affected a considerable percentage of children in the 21st century. In the United States, approximately 21-24% of adolescents and Children are obese (Sabin et al., 2015).
- Biologically, obesity is as a result of insulin resistance resulting in the development of type 2 diabetes among other health related issues.
- A decline in engagement in physical activities and well as increased consumption of unhealthy meals has resulted in the development of obesity among children in the current age.
Facts and Figures
- Between 1980s and 1990s, the prevalence rates of obese children aged between 2 and 19 years has greatly risen.
- Approximately 17% of children within the identified age bracket are obese in America.
- The prevalence rates of obesity among children aged 2 and 5 has been declining significantly to about 8.4% in 2012 from 17.7% (Gagnon & Stephens, 2015).
- The choice of foods such as high fat foods as well as sugary foods results in obesity.
- Decline in the rates of physical activity
- Engaging more in sedentary activities
Societal role in obesity
- The society has played a significant role in the increased prevalence rates of childhood obesity through;
- Increased cost of healthy foods
- Increased portion sizes
- Increased use of cars
- Increased marketing of unhealthy foods and drinks
Childhood and Adult obesity
- Childhood and adult obesity are directly interlinked.
- It is a high possibility that an obese child will remain obese even during the adolescent stage and become overweight as an adult.
- Approximately 80% of overweight adults were obese as children (Sabin et al. 2015).
Social Problems For Obese Children
- Obese children records a lower level of self-esteem compared to the non obese ones
- Increased chances of suffering other health related concerns as adults
Download full sample presentation on childhood obesity or order a custom plagiarism free and high quality presentation at an affordable price. Order Unique Answer Now