You have just been hired as an Information Security Engineer for a video game development company. The organization network structure is identified in the below network diagram and specifically contains:
|1) 2 – Firewalls
||5) 2 – Windows Server 2012 Active Directory Domain Controllers (DC)
|2) 1 – Web / FTP server
||6) 3 – File servers
|3) 1 – Microsoft Exchange Email server
||7) 1 – Wireless access point (WAP)
|4) 1 – Network Intrusion Detection System (NIDS)
||8) 100 – Desktop / Laptop computers
||9) VoIP telephone system
The CIO has seen reports of malicious activity being on the rise and has become extremely concerned with the protection of the intellectual property and highly sensitive data maintained by your organization. As one of your first tasks with the organization, the CIO requested you identify and draft a report identifying potential malicious attacks, threats, and vulnerabilities specific to your organization. Further, the CIO would like you to briefly explain each item and the potential impact it could have on the organization.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Analyze three (3) specific potential malicious attacks and / or threats that could be carried out against the network and organization.
- Explain in detail the potential impact of the three (3) selected malicious attacks.
- Propose the security controls that you would consider implementing in order to protect against the selected potential malicious attacks.
- Analyze three (3) potential concerns for data loss and data theft that may exist in the documented network.
- Explicate the potential impact of the three (3) selected concerns for data loss and data theft.
- Propose the security controls that you would consider implementing in order to protect against the selected concerns for data loss and data theft.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment (no more than 2-3 years old) from material outside the textbook. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Identifying Potential Malicious Attacks, Threats, and Vulnerabilities
Using user accounts and privileges illegally, modifying data stored by the company, using the company data for financial gain or industrial espionage, and damaging the systems of the company by running corrupted code are some of the potential malicious attacks that may be carried out on the video development company. People with malicious intentions may perform activities that prevent authorized users from performing their activities. This would deplete the resources and bandwidth of the network, which would jeopardize the activities of the company.
People with malicious intentions may initiate the attacks from different locations. Therefore, the network attacks can be classified into two different categories. These include external and internal network attacks. People with malicious intentions who attack the network externally may carry out the attacks with or without help from employees or contractors of the company. People who carry out the attacks may be experienced individuals or inexperienced attackers. They may also be a group of experienced attackers. Experienced attackers usually have defined plans and technological tools that enable them to carry out the attacks.
The technological tools can detects flaws in the security of the network and exploit them to the advantage of the attackers. Experienced attackers usually scan and gather information on the network they aspire the attack. They scrutinize the firewall logs of the network to determine security flaws that would allow them to access the network. Therefore, users should undertake a critical evaluation of the existing firewall logs to detect any external attack or threat of external attack. Installing an Intrusion Detection System would also help in identifying the threats to external attack that the system faces (Williams, 2013).
Download full sample paper on Identifying Potential Malicious Attacks, Threats, and Vulnerabilities in a video game development company or Order original answer by clicking on the Order Now button.
ORDER UNIQUE ANSWER NOW