After the Civil War and by the mid-20th century, the United States had become the dominant force in international relations. Some have argued that the United States’ military functions as the world’s “police.” This assignment covers the manner in which this shift occurred and the consequences the United States faces as a result of its status as “policemen of the world.” Using the Internet, research two (2) real-life international incidents from the past five (5) years in which:
- The U.S. used military action abroad.
- Controversy existed within the American public regarding U.S. involvement.
- Controversy existed within the country or countries affected by U.S. involvement.
For the first part of this assignment you will create a thesis statement. A thesis statement is usually a single sentence somewhere in your first paragraph that presents your main idea to the reader. The body of the essay organizes the material you gather and present in support of your main idea. Keep in mind that a thesis is an interpretation of a question or subject, not the subject itself. (Note: Please consult the Purdue OWL Website with tips on how to construct a proper thesis; the website can be found at:https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/545/01/
1. Write a thesis statement that is one to two (1-2) sentences long in which you:
- State your opinion on the significance of the two (2) real-life international incidents that you have researched. Justify your response.
2. Write a one to two (1-2) page outline in which you:
- Determine two to three (2-3) international events from the past five years that can be traced back to a foreign policy created after the Civil War.
- List three(3) aspects of US history since 1865 that has led to the US’s rise as a world super power policeman.
- List three to five (3-5) international incidents since World War II where America has taken on a policing role.
- List three to five (3-5) driving forces that fueled international policy decisions involving the international incidents you outlined previously. (Consider treaties, exit strategies, elections, wars, etc.)
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not quality as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
Policemen of the world
In the past years, the US Military has been brought up as the ‘world cops’. This has raised some feedbacks and upshots from different leaders, countries and even the US citizens themselves. So, why is the US military repeatedly referred to as the world police?
To begin with, the US military has undergone numerous changes and modifications in its recent history. Some are just but a number of initiatives by the government to improve the efficiency while some are direct consequences of past mistakes and complications suffered either in the military or the US as a nation. The civil war for examplechipped in greatly in defining the modern state of affairs in the military. At the outset, the wars lasting-effects led to the obliteration of slavery and redefining America as comprising of a united and indivisible nation preferably than the previously existing separate states. This in turn led to the whole America joining forces to come up with one superior armywhich subsists to this day.
As a superpower sustaining a large military, the US has always volunteered in international unions and peace operations in an effort to aid and keep good international relations. Similarly, it has continued to protect its citizens living abroad, and as a result, the government has often found itself entangled in abroad military actions. In the recent time for example, it performed a military intervention In Libya (Operation Odyssey Dawn) in a coalition with UN to enforce the Security Council resolution of 1973.
It also recently in 2014, attempted to rescue James Foley and the other hostages held by the ISIL. Air strikes were carried out on the ISIL camp in Syria and although the mission was unsuccessful, some ISIL militants were killed. Other large operations that has led to the US military being called the world police are the operation Neptune spear that led to the killing of Osama bin laden and air strikes on Somalia in an effort to kill al-Shabaab militants (Halevi, 2011). These and many more military strategies have and may continue to be the pillars of the US military being called the world police in a modern world where peace is a jewel.
Download full sample Thesis or Order a unique answer at an affordable price.
Order Unique Answer Now