PS440 Unit 6 Assignment Instructions
For this Assignment, you will work in groups assigned in Unit 4. For the character exhibiting abnormal behavior that you selected in Unit 4, write a 3 to 4-page double-spaced paper (excluding the title page and reference page) using the Assignment template in Course Documents to explain the following:
- Name the movie and describe the character’s general behavior in question. “THE MOVIE IS SHREK THE CHARACTER IS SHREK”
- Identify and list as many symptoms of a mental illness that the character is exhibiting (See DSM-5).
- Referring to the DSM-5, the definition of abnormal behavior from the course textbook, and based on your observation of the character’s behavior in the movie, explain why the behavior appears to be abnormal?
- Based on the DSM-5, which mental disorder do you believe the character’s symptoms best represent?
- Are there any indications that suggest the character may have a different mental disorder other than the one you have listed in C? If so, why did you dismiss other possible disorders over your chosen disorder?
- Was the movie’s portrayal of the character convoluted or normalized making the distinction of abnormal behavior from that of normal behavior blurred? Explain what cultural influences can make it difficult to identity symptoms of mental disorder. For example, was part of the movie a comedy that joked about the character’s behavior, such as Jim Carrey in the movie Me, Myself, and Irene, was addictive behavior normalized, was the behavior downplayed as simply teenage behavior gone “bad”, or was the behavior glamorized as a damsel in distress being saved by a hero?
PS440 Unit 8 Assignment Instructions
For this Assignment, start by selecting one of the case studies (accessible from the Course Home) and develop a patient portfolio. The goal of the portfolio is to identify a disorder and recommend a plan of action to help the patient manage his or her symptoms and change behavior for therapeutic outcomes.
Develop the patient’s portfolio by addressing the following:
Part 1: Background information about the patient
Provide background information that includes the patient’s disorder and a list of the diagnostic criteria that the patient meets based on the DSM-5 diagnostic criteria for the disorder.
Part 2: Psychological Approach
Select a psychological theory from the course textbook (chose either a cognitive or behavioral theory). Refer to the textbook or an academic source to explain the theory. Next, apply the theory by explaining how the individual or character’s mental disorder may have developed according to the theory. (Approximately 225 words)
Part 3: Biological Approach
Select a theory from the biological approach from the course textbook (choose either the genetic or neurological influence). Refer to the textbook or an academic source to explain the theory. Next, apply the theory by explaining how the individual or character’s mental disorder may have developed according to the theory. (Approximately 225 words)
Part 4: Sociocultural Approach
Select a theory from the social and cultural or interpersonal relationship approach from the course textbook. Refer to the textbook or an academic source to explain the theory. Next, apply the theory by explaining how the individual or character’s mental disorder may have developed according to the theory. (Approximately 225 words)
Part 5: Treatment
- Discuss what types of medical approaches (ECT, prescription medications, psychosurgery, or current medical devises) you would recommend for the patient based on studies showing its effectiveness in treating the disorder. (Approximately 75 words)
- Compare and contrast the side effects the patient may experience from the selected type of medical approach and support what benefit the treatment has on the brain chemistry or neurotransmitter activity. (Approximately 75 words)
- Discuss psychotherapy options (e.g., cognitive behavioral therapy, group therapy, exposure therapy). Explain the chosen therapy and specifically how the patient would benefit from it. (Approximately 100 words)
- Provide both short and long-term goals for the patient’s treatment plan. Include accomplishments or behavioral changes you want to see in the patient. (Approximately 75 words)
Part 6: Conclusion
Defend which of the approaches can best explain the development (or cause) of the case study’s mental disorder and why your chosen treatment plan would be the most beneficial plan for the patient (biological approach, psychological approach, or sociocultural approach). (Approximately 150 words)
View a sample answer based on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder to this assignment or order a unique answer at an affordable price.
Order Unique Answer Now