The Open Systems Interconnect (OSI) model is a conceptual model that characterizes and standardizes the internal functions of a communication system by dividing network communication functions into abstraction layers. The OSI model groups similar communication functions into one of seven logical layers. The questions below are based on internal functions of some of the OSI layers.
(a) In a communication system that is based on a layered OSI model, packet segmentation is to ease transmission of data packets over the network. Since packet segmentation performs functions that are associated with specific protocols and the OSI layer, answer the following questions:
1. What are the three functions of packet segmentation?
2. What protocols perform packet segmentation?
3. What layers of the OSI model are involved with packet segmentation?
(b) Network bridging and switching occurs on one of the layers of the OSI seven layers. The questions below are based on network bridging and switching.
(4) On which OSI layer do network bridging and switching functions occur?
(5) What are the similarities and differences between a network bridge and a switch?
Please answer the questions in a 4–6-page paper. As you answer each question, you must provide support or evidence that will enhance and empirically prove your answers. Academic IT articles or real-life IT findings that are not found in journals or other academic sources must be used in supporting your answers. Please use APA style for all cited sources, including your reference page.
Please address the following requirements in your 4–6-page paper:
- A title page
- A report that includes the following:
- An introduction to the contents of the report
- An explanation of the OSI network model as it relates to network segmentation, bridges, and switches
Please cite your references in APA format.
Please submit your assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
Order Unique Answer Now