As part of the formal assessment for the BA (Hons) Programme you are required to submit a Strategic Management assignment. Please refer to your Student Handbook for full details of the programme assessment scheme and general information on preparing and submitting assignments.
After completing the module you should be able to:
- Apply a number of theoretical models and their potential for developing strategy and supporting strategic decisions.
- Critically analyse theoretical developments in strategy.
- Critically evaluate the process of strategy making in multinational organisations in an increasingly volatile and turbulent environment.
- Appreciate the significance of and the difficulties in formulating and implementing strategy.
Read the case study “HP’s ProCurve in 2009: Internal Entrepreneurship navigates evolving Corporate strategy”
Make sure you look at the HP’s website (ProCurve is now known as HP networking Solutions) and the website for their key competitors
NB: The business on which the case focuses was given several names during the period of the case study, including Information Networks Division and ProCurve).In the examination the term Networks should be taken to cover the successive names of the business
Answer the following questions, based on the case, your own research and relevant strategic management theories.
- Would you describe the management of Networks as ‘fitting’ the market or ‘stretching’ the organisation’s capabilities? Your answer should explain the difference between a “fit” (Market Based View) and a “stretch” (Resources Based View) approach to strategy (Johnson et al, 2011) and then identify examples from the case to justify your answer.
- Conduct a stakeholder analysis for Networks, and evaluate the impact on its strategy of different stakeholders.
- Evaluate Hurd’s decision to keep Networks in HP, and advise him on future strategy for ProCurve.
- Before starting this assignment you are required to send to your tutor an outline in up to 500 words of your approach to the assignment, indicating the theory which you believe is relevant, and the key areas you propose to discuss.
You MUST underpin your analysis and evaluation of the key issues with appropriate and wide ranging academic research and ensure this is referenced using the Harvard system (See ‘Referencing Guide’ in the Study Skills Guide in My Resources). You must use the Harvard referencing method in your assignment.
Order Unique Answer Now