The workshop for this module has introduced some tools and models that can be used by project managers to manage issues related to managing conflicts, negotiating, resolving disputes using mediation and arbitration. This assignment asks you to extend your readings to find approaches and models to help you to manage conflict, negotiate and resolve disputes more effectively. The assignment asks you to critically examine some of the concepts introduced in the workshop and extend concepts where appropriate.
The total word limit for the whole assignment is 3000+- 10%. You must complete Part 1 and Part 2. The
table of contents, abstract/executive summary (within one page), list of references and citations are
excluded from the word count. For word count purposes a quarter page figure or diagram will count as 150
- Choose to focus on one of the methods (conflict management, negotiation, mediation or arbitration).
- Critically review a selection of the literature on your chosen topic. (max 1000-1500 words).
This part asks you construct a model to guide you in making decisions when confronting and managing
situations that involve disagreement and/or disputes. The model/s will include references to the following:
- Approaches and tools available and/or suitable for use in the context/s being considered
- People who are best situated to use them – e.g. would you bring in a professional or would you
- Choose to use the model without such assistance?
- Circumstances most appropriate for its use
- Cues or signs that a person using your model can look for, including e.g. physical, emotional and language cues that you might look for – 2/3
- Intrapersonal cues – your personal responses to disagreement/ conflict. For example – at the thought of
conflict your stomach tightens, your forehead begins to sweat, your pulse rises, etc. To Find these you may
have to think quite deeply about past conflict situations.
- Interpersonal – what will you expect to see in the other person in a face to face situation ? e.g. they may go red in the face, raise their voice, begin to repeat themselves etc. If it is a virtual context perhaps they use CAPITAL letters to shout at you, delay responses, deny responsibility, shifting the blame etc.
- Remember a good model will deal with all three aspects – Task, Process and Relationships to develop your model you could use all/any of the following:
- pre-workshop research activity
- pre-readings provided in conflict management, negotiations, mediation and arbitration.
- other courses/workshops in this area that you may have attended
- all resources provided in the workshop
- other materials or resources you have collected in the course of your career
Marks will be deducted if the following are omitted:
- Abstract (or Executive Summary) ? Keep it in proportion to the length of the assignment
- Table of contents
- Body (discussion including citations)
- List of references used
Marks will be allocated to reflect
Order Unique Answer Now
- Rigour demonstrated in the analysis
- Breadth of academic literature used to support or contradict your observations
- Ability to relate to present or past experience
- Innovative thinking