Congratulations! Given your education in homeland security, you have been newly hired to work within the DHS Science and Technology Directorate. Your first assignment, intended to leverage your exceptional research and writing skills, is to gather information about ethical considerations for the use of technology to meet selected homeland security objectives.
Although DHS has assigned this project to you with a specific focus on immigration, search and seizure applications, and the general approach to leveraging technological advancements, in crafting your â€œwhite paper,â€ as you provide both descriptions and analysis, you may also consider some of the following factors (in any order).
- Address the following in 10â€“12 pages:
- What general approach should DHS and FEMA take for retaining ethical considerations in mind as they discover, select, and develop new technologies? Explain.
- Consider if there are any types, categories, or forms of technology these agencies should avoidâ€”explain what and why.
- What â€œenvironmentalâ€ factors should DHS and FEMA stay aware of as they select or employ technologies, e.g., political, economic, social, cultural, or legal? Explain.
- Identify some of the ways conflict may arise between some or all of these factors and ethical matters.
- Be prepared to advise your bosses on when and how any of these factors might and/or should trump ethical issues.
- How much transparency should DHS and FEMA provide in letting the public know about current or prospective technologies? Explain.
- Consider the ethics of using technology without public knowledge or consent.
- How might planning and exercises reduce the likelihood of leaders or managers compromising ethics when using technological tools or capabilities? Explain.
- What are the intentional and unintentional potentials for their actions to be models of states and localities? Explain.
- Is this consideration important? Why or why not?
- What slippery slopes lie ahead regarding homeland security? Consider the following in your response:
- Immigration issues
- Search and seizure issues
- Technological advancements
- Once ethics are breeched, are they easier to neglect in the future? Does this matter when executing the critical missions within homeland security? Explain.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.
Order Unique Answer Now