The final paper is designed to demonstrate your understanding of the course. Using a minimum of five scholarly sources, write a six- to eight- page, APA formatted paper. Formulate a personal program of managerial leadership development that is based on the information presented in the course text. In a narrative format, the paper must cover the following topics:
- Leadership styles are designated into general categories or groups of leadership theories. For example, these include Traits Theories, Contingency Theories, Relational Theories, and others listed in the course text. Please select one specific category of theories from the course text and defend why the selected category of leadership theories is most relevant to organizational leadership.
- Discuss the leadership style you will adhere to and the specific reasons for selecting this style.
- Examine how your leadership skills will influence your ability to motivate followers in an organization.
- Identify an area of weakness in your personal leadership. Explain how you will develop this leadership skill into a strength.
- The organizational culture is influenced by factors such as organizational structure, size, policies and procedures, the staff, and office politics. With these factors in mind, evaluate how your leadership style will allow you to effectively lead within the organizational culture.
MGT321: ASSESSING LEADERSHIP SKILLS – Final Paper
Managerial Leadership Development
Leadership is a very important aspect for the success of every organization today. A good leader must be able to move a team from an ordinary level to an extraordinary level by doing the right things. Effective leadership requires critical thinking, ability to implement changes properly, and ability to overcome ongoing challenges. According to Zeithaml, Varadarajan and Zeithaml, 1986), leadership needs to be conceived as a process that involves influence, occurs in a group context and involves attainment of goals. In an organization, there are corporate, personal, and social processes and people must be inspired through leadership to work towards group goals (Zeithaml, Varadarajan and Zeithaml, 1986). This explains why contingency theories are the most relevant for organizational leadership today.
Contingency theories are based on the idea that each and every organization is unique in its own sense every situation that is encountered in an organization must be handled separately. This category of leadership theories incorporates issues that occur in different organizational structures, characteristics, and environments. As far as contingency theories are concerned, an organization can be made to survive and adapt in several ways. For example, leadership theorists have identified more than one strategy that can help an organization to maximize profitability and several techniques that can be applied to achieve organizational goals. These strategies do not have equal levels of appropriateness as their levels of effectiveness depend on the exiting situation (Zeithaml, Varadarajan and Zeithaml, 1986).
Contingency theories are highly relevant for organizational leadership because they enable modern leaders to observe formulate different methods though which they can achieve effectiveness (Zeithaml, Varadarajan and Zeithaml, 1986). Basically, this category of leadership theories allows organizational leaders to match internal situation in an organization to various contingency factors as this is a very important step towards identification of the most appropriate responses. Through identification of the most appropriate responses, the leader will be able to influence various groups in an organization to achieve common goals. Modern leaders are encouraged to understand and apply concepts of contingency theories as a way of achieving common goals and ensuring organizational effectiveness (Zeithaml, Varadarajan and Zeithaml, 1986).
Download full sample answer or order a unique answer at an affordable price. Order Unique Answer Now