In 1915, Alfred Wegner proposed the continental drift theory to explain the past and present location of the continents; however, his ideas were met with resistance because he could not provide a mechanism for such movement.
Write 4 – 5 pages (not including the title and reference pages) that respond to the following:
- Describe geographic evidence collected in the last part of the 20th century to support the theory of continental drift.
- Why do scientists today accept the movement of continents but did not accept this theory back in Wegner’s time?
- Describe the process of the scientific method and theory development.
- How does the scientific method help us understand the natural world?
- Describe how plate tectonics provides the mechanism for continental drift.
- How do plate tectonics explain the process of continental drift?
- How do plate tectonics explain natural landforms like the Himalayas and the Ring of Fire in the Pacific Ocean?