When examining the historical context of treatment in a correctional setting, it must be seen through both domestic and international viewpoints. Under the domestic view, the United States primarily uses a custodial model, which focuses on using incapacitation as the method of retribution and deterrence. In contrast, the international view, specifically Europe, uses the rehabilitation model. This model focuses on rehabilitating the person to become a productive member of society. In this assignment, compare and contrast the models of corrections from the perspectives of the United States and the United Kingdom. In this paper, explain which model you think provides the best treatment.
Read also Concept and Purpose of Restorative Justice and Restitution
- Using the library, course materials, textbook, and Web resources, research the custodial model of incarceration of the United States and the rehabilitation model of the United Kingdom.
- Address the following in a Word document of 2-3 pages:
- How are these 2 models similar?
- How are these 2 models different?
- Which model do you feel is more effective at reducing the rate of recidivism?
- Do you believe that both countries should adopt the same model of incarceration?
In 3-5 paragraphs
In 1895, a report called Report from the Departmental Committee on Prisons, also known as the Gladstone Committee Report(GCR), was developed. The purpose of this report was to introduce ideas regarding rehabilitation in the United Kingdom.
Read also Advantages of Using Alternatives To Incarceration
An example of the impact in the United States was the creation of the standardized sentencing guidelines and the continual amendments used to assist offenders. In the United Kingdom, the GCR influenced how rehabilitation programs were being developed.
Discuss how the Gladstone Committee Report addressed conflict over the words rehabilitation and treatment. In this discussion, identify which word you would choose and the impact it has on society.
Read also Court Proceedings And Correctional System In USA
- Using the course materials, textbook, and Web resources, research the Gladstone Committee Report.
- Address the following in 3-5 paragraphs:
- How did the GCR address the use of the words rehabilitation and treatment?
- Which word would you choose as the appropriate term for handling offenders? Why?
- How does that word impact society? Explain.