Migrating to a new accounting information system is not an easy task. Many firms have struggled with this process, even though our textbook makes the process seem quite straightforward. Recently, IBM recapped some of the lessons learned in migrating to a new accounting information system within the federal government. These lessons can be applied to any accounting information system project. Others have developed their own recommendations for best practices and lessons learned involving implementing accounting information systems. However, in order to appreciate what IBM and others are proposing, we need to apply lessons learned to a real-life situation involving the failure to implement an accounting system properly.
For this assignment, research the Internet or Strayer databases for information related to a real-life accounting information system failure and best practices, as well as lessons learned from implementing the accounting system.
Write a ten to twelve (10-12) page paper in which you:
- Identify three to five (3-5) factors that contributed to the accounting information system failure within the business that you have identified. Indicate the impact on the business. Provide support for your rationale.
- Assess senior management’s responsibility for the failure in question. Specify what the senior management could have done differently to avoid the failure. Provide support for your rationale.
- Evaluate whether the most significant failure occurred within the system design, implementation, or operational phase of the process. Indicate what the company could have done to avoid the failed outcome. Provide support for your rationale.
- Evaluate how implementing best practices would have reduced the chances for failure. Provide support for your rationale.
- Based on your research, develop a list of between four (4) and six (6) best practices that organizations should use today to reduce the chances of failure. Provide support for your rationale.
- Using the information provided by IBM and others, indicate which of the principles designed to provide insight into effective and efficient strategies on how to best deploy financial management systems, which were outlined within the related article, should serve as an example of what not to do when establishing the foundation for a firm to follow. Your proposed foundation should consist of at least two (2) principles, but no more than six (6). Provide support for your rationale.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the business activities that comprise an accounting information system to determine the information needs to support the decision-making function.
- Examine the phases of the systems development life cycle and key issues related to systems analysis.
- Analyze the systems design, implementation, and operational process.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in accounting information systems.
- Write clearly and concisely about accounting information systems using proper writing mechanics.
Liked this paper? Hire one of our writers to write a unique hiqh quality for you! Order Unique Answer Now