ENGL 1113: English Composition I – Final Assessment
For this assignment, you are to construct an argument that takes an arguable/defendable position on one of the following topics. While this assignment is significantly shorter than Essay 4, your essay should be built upon a solid claim and present supporting evidence.
You may write about any of the following:
- Should you share bad information with a friend? Why or why not?
- When your conscience conflicts with the law, which should you obey?
- If someone gives you something and you later find out that it’s worth a lot of money, do you have a moral obligation to give it back?
- Is it ever right to lie for a greater good?
Your essay should display the following qualities:
- Organization – a clear and logical organization of ideas
- Development – your ideas and paragraphs should be thoroughly developed
- Coherence – your writing should be clear and easily understood
- Unity – all ideas should be connected to one another and the main idea
- Grammar – you should use proper grammar in this essay and avoid common grammatical errors
- Spelling – proofread and revise to ensure that there are no misspelled words in your essay
Additionally, your essay should contain the following parts:
- An introduction that introduces the subject, gives sufficient background for a discussion of the subject, and states a claim that is both arguable and defendable
- A body that is focused and organized, developing and supporting the overall claim
- A conclusion that reiterates the claim and brings the essay to completion