Consider to what degree there has been religious freedom in America and to what extent there has been religious oppression.
- Review Chapter 6 of the course text, focusing on the section titled “The Emerging Concept of Religious Freedom.”
- Review the First Amendment Center’s “Religion Research Articles” website. Select some resources, including pertinent court cases and commentary on current issues, that will provide historical perspectives. (You can find the link to the website in this week’s Resources.)
- View the media for this week.
- Think about whether you believe that the country “delivers” on the promise of religious freedom.
- Reflect on why the ideal of religious freedom sometimes has been difficult to achieve.
Submit a 1- to 2-page essay in which you do the following:
- Explain your thoughts about why and how religious freedom was guaranteed in the Bill of Rights and why it has been difficult to achieve that ideal.
- Using specific examples, explain whether the concept of religious freedom in America is real or is just an ideal.
- Explain reasons why you think it is or is not important to maintain a separation between church and state.
- Explain why the concept of religious freedom is or is not relevant to contemporary society.
In your essay, take care to reference the history of religious freedom and the historical perspectives of religion in the United States.
Support your assertions by making at least two documented references to your course readings, following the examples of documentation in “Common Reference List Examples” (see the Resources for this week). Please use proper APA formatting to cite each of your sources.