Write a five to six (5-6) page paper in which you:
- Describe the various types of management careers that can be offered within each industry (lodging and food and beverage).
- Compare and contrast the differences between the General Management (GM) positions within the two (2) industries.
- Analyze and describe the growth in overall employment within these two (2) industries and how this overall growth is forecasted within the next ten (10) years.
- Recommend at least three (3) human resource practices in which each industry can better recruit and retain management talent for their respective industry.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not quality as academic resources.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Discuss various career opportunities in the food service and lodging industries.
- Describe the significant trends impacting the hospitality industry.
- Summarize the basic procedures involved in managing a restaurant operation.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in hospitality and tourism management.
- Write clearly and concisely about hospitality and tourism management using proper writing mechanics.
Order Unique Answer Now
Careers in Lodging and Food and Beverage Industries – Sample Paper
The Hospitality Industry is with no doubt one of the largest industries in the world. This brought about by the many fields and industries that can be placed under its umbrella since it is a combination of a variety of fields into one. It is one of the fastest growing industries also as all industries in the world depend on the Hospitality industry in one way or the other. It is a very interesting industry and holds a wide range of career opportunities for people looking to enjoy work that comes with serving others (Collegegrad, 2015). It encompasses tourism, lodging, food and beverages, hotels and casinos and many other services. Basically, it is a service industry that puts into one the lodging, events and their planning, transport and cruises as well as parks and place viewing. It revolves around providing comfort and pleasure for guests during vacations, meetings and conferences, weddings and honeymoons, dinners and stop-overs during road trips.
The Hospitality Industry in its huge capacity holds a variety of career opportunities in all levels – from Management careers all the way down (Solnet, Kralj, & Baum, 2015). Looking at the Lodging, and Food and Beverage Industries – there are several managerial positions that one can venture into as a career.
Management positions in the Lodging industry
- General Manager: A General Manager in this industry is in charge of all lodging operations within a company (Lie, 2015). He oversees and ensures efficiency in all the departments that make the Lodging firm to ensure its smooth running. These departments may be marketing and sales, Office Administration, Personnel, recreation, housekeeping and booking etc. He is at the top of management and his input facilitates better coordination within the departments. He is also in charge of complaints and conflicts resolution.
- Front Office Manager: This manager will mostly focus on assignment of rooms and control of reservations. He/she is also responsible for the training and direction of the staff under him i.e. the front office staff (Collegegrad, 2015). He oversees special requests by customers and ensures they are treated courteously. They are in charge of any issues that relate to the front desk.
Read also Essay On An Issue Facing American Hotel And Lodging Association (AH & LA)
- Financial/Revenue Managers: Anything to do with finances is handled by this group of managers. These include; accounting, cash-flow and special services and discounts. They monitor all money coming in and going out in a lodging department of a restaurant.
- Service and Convention Managers: The responsibility of these managers basically lies in service and room attendance (Solnet, Kralj, & Baum, 2015). They coordinate the room attendants making sure that every booked or occupied room is well attended to. They monitor and ensure efficiency in meeting accommodations and conventions ensuring they are well set up before hand. These are the people you see when planning an event to discuss set up, design and requirements in terms of equipments and technology required in rooms and also rooms needed, number to attend, meals required and cost.
Food and Beverages Industry Managers
- General Manager: Just like the lodging industry, this industry also needs a general manager. His roles are pretty much like any other general manager only that what he oversees compared to a lodging general manager is quite diverse owing to the many departments involved (Lie, 2015). He oversees what goes on in the kitchen, goes to the dinner rooms and ensures everything is going as per the pleasure of the customers. He has to do research on new developments in the industry and ensure they are incorporated to put the company ahead. He manages branches in the firm and ensures proper coordination. Further than that he has make sure all departments under him are efficient in their roles as he builds teamwork and proper interrelations and communication within the departments that are interdependent to ensure proper running and customer satisfaction.
- Food service manager: The food service manager is in charge of food service. His role mainly involves coordinating the service staff. He/she will oversee timely collection of orders, ensures orders are attended to as per the requirements of those dinning or using the services of the hotel or restaurant (Collegegrad, 2015). The manager will push staff around to make sure they are fast. He also resolves disputes if any concerning service and order. In case of complaints that relate to service, he makes sure that customers are handled in the most diplomatic way as the complaints get looked into. This manager oversees an appropriate relationship between customers and staff.
- Kitchen Manager: Needless to say, the work of this manager is the kitchen. All the kitchen staff are under his supervision. He ensures that all ingredients required to make meals are available and accounted for (Solnet, Kralj, & Baum, 2015). He/she will ensure that the kitchen staff are fast in their responsibilities and that the meals are prepared well. He also oversees health and cleanliness in this department.
- Bar manager: A bar is another important department in the Food and Beverages industry. This manager will oversee proper running of the bar. Stock taking, service and conflict resolution in the bar are his responsibility.
- Sales and marketing manager: This is a very vital manager in this industry. The restaurants and hotels will require selling. This manager will ensure that there is proper advertisement both locally and wild wide. He will ensure that the company maintains a good image and that its products or what it offers is known around and beyond.
There are many managerial careers in the Lodging, and Food and Beverage industry. Other managers in this industry include: Area Manager, Banquet Manager, Dining Room Manager, Director of Marketing, Events Manager, Guest Relations Manager, Hotel Manager, Casino Manager, Reservation Manager, Resident Manager and Restaurant Manager etc. however, the number of managers in company will depend on its size and number of branches.
Managing a Restaurant
Armed with the right skills and experience, the management of a restaurant is quite easy. It just needs dedication and commitment to the responsibilities that came with every aspect of management. There are a few procedures that one should ensure are observed for successful management to be achieved (Lie, 2015). Here is what a manager should endeavor to achieve as he manages a restaurant:
- Staff briefings: It is vital that a manager holds staff meetings most probably at the beginning of the day. During such meetings the manager will share the expectations of the day as he/she receives any issues and ideas that staff members would like to share (Collegegrad, 2015). This should also be to empower the workers. During these sessions he should also be used to review the happenings of the previous day.
Read also Tips On Operating a Successful Restaurant
- Look at accounts: It is important that the manager goes through the accounts books from the finance department. This will give him an idea of how the business is fairing. This way he will be able to take the appropriate measures to ensure the restaurant flourishes.
- Visit other businesses: When there is time, a manager should visit other business. These may be business of the same type as well us those in other fields. Businesses of the same type will help the manager get tips on how to improve his own while the rest of the businesses will be to make his business known to them. It is a way of marketing his business.
Read also McDonalds Restaurants Talent Management Program
- Time with dinners: Once in a while, it is crucial that when the crowd gathers in the restaurant the manager takes time to meet with the customers. The customers will provide information on ways to improve the restaurant. Still, during this time, he might learn of complaints or dissatisfaction from any of them and handle such issues (Solnet, Kralj, & Baum, 2015).
Read also Creating Your Own Restaurant
The lodging, and Food and Beverages industry is a very juice industry to consider in terms of career opportunities. Owing to the fact that all other industries including music, tourism, banking, infrastructure, technology etc so much depend on this industry, then you would expect this industry to continue growing. It is estimated that the industry will on average grow by 20% over the next ten years, which will mean more jobs (Lie, 2015). However, due to the cost of running of these companies it is expected that some managerial positions in some companies will be absorbed by higher management to reduce the number of managers and officials required to run such companies. This will not have a big effect on the rate of growth though as far as jobs are concerned.
The Hospitality Industry and more specifically the Lodging, and Food and Beverages industry is a good place to start or continue a career in. It is still quite promising as much as jobs are concerned and from the way things are looking it will be on an upward trend (Lie, 2015). With proper training after undertaking the available courses in these field, one is guaranteed of a job or maybe you can start your own and reap big.
You can order a plagiarism free paper at an affordable price.