Read and discuss in The Norton Field Guide to Writing with Readings, 3rd ed Ch. 58, LAUREL THATCHER ULRICH, “Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History, p. 656.” Read this essay to write the Reader Response plus Research papers. The Reader Response plus Research papers should be approximately 400-450 words long. For each entry, include the author’s name, the title of the work, and the date assigned for class. Also include full citation information for additional sources. Use proper in-text citations. A thoughtful reflection on your reading of the piece—evidence that you have “engaged” the text. The avoidance of gratuitous plot summary or condensation. Research to support your reflection/argument. Each entry should be typewritten, double-spaced, and free from excessive mechanical and technical errors. Follow MLA 2009 guidelines regarding format. Do not skip lines between paragraphs. Include a running head which always includes the page number. RR+R= Reader Response plus Research papers
Your instructor will divide the class into to different debate teams.Â You will be responsible for composing your own initial debate post and for making the required number of responses to classmates on the other side of the debate.Â Note: There are two different discussion topic threads, your initial post will occur within the debate forum assigned to your team below, however your responses to peers will occur within the other debate forum.
- Debate Team 2:Â Health Care is a Privilege.Â You will present an argument that health care is a privilege via a substantial post in this discussion. You must use at least three scholarly sources, one of which can be the textbook, in providing evidence that supports this argument.
- Responses to Team 1: You will post a rebuttal against two of your classmates who were on Team 1. Read through the posts and then refute two of your classmatesâ€™ arguments that health care is a right. Refer to elements in their original post as you rebut their points.
- In 2010, the Affordable Care Act was approved by Congress and will be phased in over several years. However, the argument remains as to the lawâ€™s appropriateness in a democratic nation such as the United States.
In a substantial post, you will examine whether the ACAÂ is or is not an appropriate law for the United States.Â You must include critical information about the law that is currently under debate such as quality, cost, access, technology, health care system structure, global effect, rationing, government versus private oversight, and so on. At least two scholarly sources areÂ requiredÂ to support your opinion. Please refrain from using news reports on the topic, as these are not scholarly sources.
Guided Response: Find two classmates who gave the opposite view point from you. Analyze their argument from an academic standpoint (keep your personal opinions and feelings out of this) and explain how their argument is either valid or invalid.Â You must use scholarly research to support your explanation.
You are a member of the training division for a major metropolitan police department. The chief of police and her staff have developed an undercover program in which they wish to use new cadets right out of the police academy graduating class as undercover officers in the narcotics unit. You and your training staff have each been requested to select a type of drug of abuse.
Research and present the following issues pertaining to the drug that youÂ selected:
- Describe the medical, clinical, or scientific name for the drug that you selected and identify the drug enforcement administration (DEA) schedule thatÂ it falls into and why.
- Explain what the legal classification of this drug is, and what physical forms it is likely to have on the street (powder, liquid, plant material, etc.)
- Articulate the origin of this drug in terms of coming from a botanical or a synthetic.
- Identify how this drug is ingested when it is used illicitly, and the street names thatÂ the drug is known by.
- Detail the physical impact that the drug has on the user, both immediate and long-term, in terms of drug reaction and health.
It is critical that, when you make a statement of fact in your presentation, you cite the reference that you used to obtain the information from. Do this in the text of the paper, and then include the reference in your References page. As always, your paper will be submitted in the current edition of APA format. No abstract is required because this is a short position paper, but a title page, reference page, and appropriate running header with page numbers are necessary.
In 4-6 paragraphs
You are working with several offenders at your facility with an addiction to methamphetamines. Your supervisor wants you to explain the inherent dangers of methamphetamine drugs.
Please include answers in your main posting for the following questions:
- What is the drug enforcement administration (DEA) schedule for methamphetamine, and what category drug is it, legally?
- When taking a person into custody, what would make methamphetamine users different from users of other controlled substances? Why?
- Would you be more concerned about executing a warrant in a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory or an industrial chemical laboratory? Why?
As the new HR managerof a jewelry company, you have put together some preliminary reports for the CEO. One of the reports you compiled focuses on employee turnover. The jewelry company is an organization with aggressive expansion goals. In the last 2 years, the company has continually hired new employees, yetit has not achieved the staffing levelsit desired. The companyknew that some employees had left the organization, but turnover rates have not been formally tracked.
After your preliminary fact-finding, you were surprised to discover that the turnover rate for the past year was 38%. You know the CEO will not be pleased with this turnover rate, and you have made the decision to prepare yourself more before presenting the report to the CEO. Turnover presents a significant cost for an organization, so you recognize that this will be an opportunity for you to demonstrate how you can partner with the executive team to turn this situation around and help the company be more competitive. Prepare a short presentation for the CEO on the situation and possible reasons as to whyemployees are leaving at such a high rate.
As you are preparing your presentation, consider the following:
- In detail, discuss several of the reasons why employees tend to leave organizations.
- You plan to present the financial impact to the CEO to get a real sense of the significance of the situation. What factors will you consider in preparing this financial estimate? For this assignment, you are not required to determine the actual dollar figure, but instead, you are to consider what would contribute to the cost of turnover.
- Being proactive, what measures can be taken to assess the morale of current employees, and how likely they are to leave or stay?
- What process do you recommend for partnering with the management team to reduce turnover in the upcoming years?
- As you consider your role, how will you position this to the CEO to demonstrate the value you can bring to addressing this problem?
5-6 slides with 100 words footnote
The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) are eight international development goals established by the United Nations to encourage development through the improvement of social and economic conditions around the world.
To begin your Portfolio Project research, click the link below to access the Millennium Development Goals access the UN Millennium Project website.
http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/mdgoverview/ Identify and select two MGDs.
Then research the history of the socioeconomic, health, and environmental issues that led to the development of the MDGs you selected by the United Nations in 2000. Analyze and discuss the progress of a developed and developing country towards the MDGs you have chosen to research.
Address in your paper: barriers to progress, cost, access, and quality.
Discuss your findings in a scholarly paper that discusses and cites no fewer than five credible and scholarly sources. (Suggestion: use the CSU-Global Virtual Library to search for your sources.)
Research the impact of divorce on children under the age of 18. This is to be based on research, not opinion or just experience and observation. APA format is required for this paper. That includes a cover page, an abstract, the main body must be at least 5 pages. (with in-text and parenthetical citations), and reference page. You may want to refer to the APA style guide provided in the course.
- Paper should be at least 5 pages of main body text, not including the title page, abstract page, and references.
- At least 5 resources must be used; sources should be books, journal articles, and some internet sites.
- You are required to have at least two professional journal articles; for example,Journal of Marriage and Family. (Note: If you use the Bible, it must be in addition to your required 5 resources. Do not use either it as your main source.)
The paper should be double-spaced, with 1.5 margins and typed in 12-pt font. Be sure to include a page header with page number.
Drug use is found among all ages, genders, races, socioeconomic statuses, educational levels, and cultures. Throughout the course, you will follow the story of Aaliyah where you will apply the concepts you learn. In this module, you will meet Aaliyah and get to know her current situation.
Analyze the case study and review your readings. Respond to the following:
- Identify and analyze Aaliyah’s risk and protective factors for drug use. Describe at least two factors for each.
- Discuss at least one thingÂ notÂ mentioned in the case study that could be an additional risk factor or protective factor for Aaliyah.
- Explain what these risk and protective factors imply for future substance use.
Write a 2-3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M1_A3.doc.
Three Mile Island Nuclear Reactor Malfunction Scenario
In 1979, the Three Mile Island nuclear reactor malfunctioned, releasing radiation into the environment. There were no immediate deaths or injuries resulting from the incident; however, the accident drew much media attention and created concerns in the local area and beyond. The major forms of communication used to report these events were the three major television networks and local radio stations.
In 2005, Hurricane Katrina devastated the New Orleans area and immersed a significant part of the city in water. Local citizens and their families were affected. In contrast to the Three Mile Island incident, newer communication technologies, such as the Internet, were used to disseminate information.
Today, you are the director of a regional Emergency Management Office. You begin receiving official reports that the public water supplies of several towns in the area have become contaminated with a life-threatening biological agent. Contingency plans must be addressed within the organization and with the public without creating a panic.
Write a 1,400- to 1,750-word paper on essential communication in a community crisis situation described in the scenario.
Include the following in your paper:
- The individuals or groups that will be communicating inside and outside the organization during this crisis situation
- Potential advantages and challenges associated with communicating within the organization and with the public and private sectors during this crisis situation
- Differences in communication processes used in crisis situations, including what you learned from the situations in the scenario and how you might incorporate that knowledge to improve health care communication strategies
- Appropriate technology, such as social media, affecting communication during the crisis situation and how these technologies may be used to enhance communication
- How technology might be used differently now than it was during the crisis situations described in the scenario
- Media opportunities during this management crisis
Cite a minimum of three sources, Electronic Reserve Readings, to support your position.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.
Dropbox Assignment Assignment 2: Leadership in the Corrections Environment
Consider the following scenario:
You are the chief of staff for the state director of corrections, who has been in the position for almost twenty years. He has always been effective, and has a very good reputation. However, the department is going through many changes, including a tremendous increase in the number of inmates, a new wave of gang violence in prisons, and serious budget cuts.
People are whispering that “the old man” may not still have it and that perhaps they need a change of leadership. The state director asks you about your views. Although you think his transactional style is past its time, you firmly believe he is an able leader and the right person to lead the department through these difficult times. You talk in general about changing leadership styles, and he asks you to prepare a memo outlining your suggestions for modifying his leadership style.
Using the module reading and the Argosy University online library resources, write a 4- to 6-page memo in a Microsoft Word document. Consider the following discussion points:
Analyze and explain the leadership theories most applicable to the modern corrections environment. Identify and analyze additional strategies and principles you would suggest for implementation by a modern corrections leader. Make sure to write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Include citations in text and at the end of the document in the correct APA format.
Over the twentieth century, the ability to process information in terms of labor units has improved by a factor in the order of 1 to 5 trillion. This improvement represents a compounded growth rate of between 30 to 35 percent per year for a century. At the turn of the twentieth century, the mechanical calculator offered a modest productivity increase but the number of workers required to maintain the accounts of a medium-sized business still remained very high. Many tasks would take a large investment in equipment and a significant number of accountantsâ€™ weeks to process. A hundred years later, the same tasks can be completed by a standard desktop computer in minutes. The challenge for management has transitioned from a simple reduction in labor requirements to leveraging the increased processing power to develop competitive, efficient, and profitable organizations.
With this example in mind, use the assigned readings for this module and respond to the following:
- Explain how information systems influence businesses to be more competitive, efficient, and profitable.
- Provide at least one example for each factor