Order Unique Answer Now
With the acquisition of Texas, border disputes became a major issue between the U.S. and Mexico—disputes that ultimately led to war. In this assignment, you will research and explain the causes of the Mexican-American War of 1846–1848 from the perspective of a senator who supported the war or one who opposed it. In addition, you will analyze the senator’s views on slavery, the Mexican-American War, and Manifest Destiny. You will also present your own view and support it with appropriate scholarly references.
For this LASA, complete the following:
- Research and explain at least two causes of the Mexican-American War of 1848.
- Assume either the position of Kentucky Senator Henry Clay, who opposed the war, or President Polk, who supported the war.
- Based on the role you assume, complete any oneof the following options:
- Research and analyze Senator Clay’s opposition to the war from the perspective of slavery and imperialism against Mexico. Address the following in your analysis:
- An explanation on his views about slavery, the Mexican-American War, and Manifest Destiny
- An analysis and an explanation of his views and his impact on the national debate over slavery and aggression against Mexico
- Research and analyze President James Polk’s support of the war from the perspective of slavery and aggression against Mexico. Address the following in your analysis:
- An explanation of his views on slavery, the Mexican-American War, and Manifest Destiny
- An explanation of his success in implementing the war and the results of the war on slavery and foreign policy
- Explain your perspective, either endorsing or opposing the Mexican-American War of 1848, in the form of a speech to an audience of supporters.