Health Promotion Concept Analysis Paper
The health promotion is a significant feature of healthcare in terms of screening and preventing ailments and chronic illness. The nurses are in the front line in terms of promotion of health lifestyle varieties, training patients about their fitness, supporting patients to take their health into their own hands and provision of data and supportive resources necessary. It assists patients to take control over and better their health(Kemppainen, Tossavainen&Turunen. 2013). It moves beyond a focus on personality performance towards a wide range of social and environmental intercessions. This concept is of significance as it builds on cultural and social understanding of illness and health as akey in eliminating unequal burden of ailments experienced by the poor and underserved populations.
Words that Relate or Express the Concept
Words that relate or express the concept of health promotion include: productivity, longevity, self-perceived health, healthy behaviors, social connectedness, mental and physical illness, productivity, and factors in the social, physical environment, unemployment, poverty, homelessness, violence, and illiteracy.
Summarization of a Colleague Response
The colleague who is a nurse explains the concept of health promotion as field of medical science that seeks to reduce diseases, premature death, and disability through behavioral change that are voluntary. This can be done through having a healthy lifestyle that includes eating well, physical practice, avoiding alcohol and smoking, drinking a lot of water, and taking enough rest to relax the body.
Definitions of Health Promotion from Unabridged Dictionary
- According to the World Health Organization, the process of enabling people to increase control over and improve their health; it involves the population as a whole in the context of their everyday lives, rather than focusing on people at risk for specific diseases and is directed toward action on the determinants or causes of health (Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary, 2012)
- Any activity that seeks to improve a person’s or population’s health by providing information about,and increasing awareness of,at-risk behaviours associated with various diseases,with the intent of Health-promoting behaviours include smoking cessation,avoidance of substances of abuse,use of safety belt in car,moderate or non-consumption of alcohol,reduced consumption of saturated fats and engaging in daily exercise. In theUS, health promotion has been successful in reducing cardiovascular and tobacco-related disease (Segen’s Medical Dictionary, 2011).
- HealthadvocacyPublichealthAnyactivitythatseeks to improve a person’s or population’shealth by providinginformationaboutandawareness of ‘atrisk’behaviorsassociatedwithvariousconditions,andthosebehaviors (McGraw-Hill Concise Dictionary of Modern Medicine, 2002).
- Providingclientswithinformation to Lifestylesthatinfluencegoodhealthisencouraged (Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing, 2012).
- Any initiatives, by any public or private agency, to prevent ill health and promote positive health through a variety of strategies ranging from the implementation of public health policies to encouraging individual changes in health behaviours (Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science and Medicine by Churchill Livingstone, 2008).
- According toIllustrated Dictionary of Podiatry and Foot Science by Jean Mooney (2009), protocols to achievegreatesthealthpotential(regardless of currenthealthstatus)forallmembers of society, by means of diseasepreventionstrategies(founded on maintenance of a healthylifestyle)
- Providing patients and clients with information to enhance health and prevent disease. (Medical Dictionary for the Dental Professions, 2012).
Synonyms and Antonyms of the Health Promotion Concept
Synonyms of health promotion include wellness, fitness, haleness, good condition, healthiness, robustness, salubrity, strength, soundness, vigor, form fettle, state, tone, shape, health improvement, and improvement of sanitary conditions. The antonyms include disease, frailty, debility, sickness, weakness, and illness.
You can order a unique concept analysis paper on a topic of your choice at an affordable price.
ORDER UNIQUE ANSWER NOW