Assignment 1: Discussion—Exploring Potential Research Topics
Based on your business experience, the information accumulated in this course, and the University online library resources, identify three possible research topics related to the subject of the course. What managerial problems or opportunities would each of the three studies address?
Provide a short description for each research topic, highlighting the following:
- The problem or opportunity in organizations that needs to be addressed
- The purpose of the research
- The question(s) that, if answered, will help in solving the problem or seizing the opportunity
Write your initial response in a minimum of 400 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
Assignment 2: Challenger Space Shuttle Disaster Analysis
For this assignment, you will apply the concepts of the four-frame approach to management decisions and write a report.
In many professions, leaders have to confront very complex challenges and the results can fall well below everyone’s expectations. The disasters with the Challenger and the Columbia Space Shuttles portray situations where bad decision making led to disasters that changed the history of space exploration. In your professional life, you may be subjected to many complex problems. A critical assessment of the four frames can make the difference between success and failure.
To prepare for this assignment, read the following article (and any other ones related to these accidents) in order to construct the “big picture” that will allow you to conduct your analysis:
- Garrett, T. M. (Dec 2004). Whither Challenger, wither Columbia: Management decision making and the knowledge analytic. American Review of Public Administration, 34(4), 389–402.
- Identify the frame(s) used by the leaders in the Challenger and Columbia situations (i.e., Structure, HR, Political, and Symbolic).
- Review the choice of frames made by the management in those situations. Explain if the situation with the space shuttles occurred due to management choosing the wrong frame, an incorrect application of a given frame, or for other reasons.
- If you were the person in charge of the Challenger and Columbia, recommend what other frame(s) you would have considered in the decision-making process. For your recommendations, take into account the constraints faced at the time of the events. Justify your answer using the characteristics of each frame from your readings.
- Based on your recommendation made in the previous question, explain how you would address the Challenger and Columbia situations using a different frame or a combination of them