The purpose of this assignment is to develop a well-researched project planning document based on the overall parameters of a networking related project, establish an appropriate project management plan, and quality environment required to complete the chosen project. Furthermore, analyse project issues, conduct post-project review (i.e., lessons learned) and make recommendations for improvements for future projects. In this assessment task, you will present a proposal for the major project assignment as a team of 3-4 members. Proposal template is available on Moodle.
The project must be selected from the networking or the telecommunication area.
The project duration should not be less than 12 Months. Before starting, seek approval for the proposed project from your laboratory tutor. Address all stages of Project Management as outlined in the unit. A suitable project management software (e.g. MS Project 2010) must be used.
The project report should include all phases of a project life cycle, i.e. Initiating, Planning, Executing and Closing. Project Management Plan helps the management team to maintain a constant focus towards delivering the project in accordance with the customer needs and expectations.
The development of such a plan begins with the business case (refined from the Project Charter), project objectives and goals, success criteria, scope, high-level schedule, stakeholder expectations, communication plan, benefits and costs, governance and resourcing, management approach, risk management plan, and potential ethical issues. The project documents ensure a consistent understanding of the project, help to set expectations, and identify resources necessary to move the project to the next level of detailed planning. Every project must be delivered in a manner that captures the user’s trust and confidence in the chosen projects ability to effectively and efficiently deliver quality services/products. In order to ensure project success, it is imperative that good project management principles are used early in the planning stages. As the project becomes more defined, the Project Management Plan becomes the tool by which the project is managed effectively.
Students should include all aspects of the project as if they were the Project Manager and it is a requirement of the subject that they include the use of software (e.g. Microsoft Project). Students are expected to show evidence of self-directed reading and research using credible resources including, but not limited to their prescribed text. The assignment will be marked on the basis of depth of analysis, research, references and integration of all aspects of project management.
Assessment will be on the basis of the realistic nature of the project and how well it is presented. You should present the final document in a form that would be consistent with the details of your chosen project, and written in Business English in a report format. Make sure that the timeline, the budget and the quality of the work is realistic, justifiable and sufficiently attractive to win a tender for a real project.
Form a team of 3-4 members and work co-operatively to complete the chosen project. The project report must cover at least the following aspects:
- A clear outline of the project including title, start and end date, goals and objectives, etc.
- Project requirements (both functional and non-functional)
- Project team members (title, skills/expertise, not names!)
- Project plan, including: o Project scope
- Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Estimated time-line o Resource needs
- Gantt Chart and Network Diagram
- Estimated cost
- Quality plan o Stakeholder analysis
- Communications plan o Risks management plan
- Ethical issues analysis
- Project deployment plan
- Crash the total project duration by 2 weeks.
- Use software (e.g. Microsoft Project) to complete WBS, allocate time and resources, apply cost, and prepare Gantt chart and Network Diagram.
- Project Signoff (on a separate page)
- Post project review and recommendations Submission guidelines:
- The report should have a consistent, professional, and well-organized appearance. Create the report (Minimum 1800 Words) showing extensive use of MS Project.
Get help on writing a project planning document for MN601 Network Project Management unit at an affordable price.