Staffing Plan for a Growing Business – Assignment Instructions
You are a former certified education administrator who departed your former position to become the owner of a small, in-home day care consisting of you and a part-time assistant where you care for children from age three (3) to age ten (10). Over the course of time, your demographic population has increased due to significant business growth that has resulted in many families relocating to your area. With more businesses projected to move to the area and the building of new housing developments, it is projected that this growth could be long term.
You have decided that this is a good opportunity to expand your day care business as you have received many inquiries for childcare. In order to comply with your home state regulations, you will require a larger facility and will need to hire additional staff in order to sustain the larger demand for day care. This staff will consist of five (5) Certified Day Care Professionals, one (1) Registered Nurse Professional, five (5) After-School Assistants and one (1) Office Support Paraprofessional. You have secured approval for a bank loan and qualify for future loans for future expansion if your current endeavor is successful. Meanwhile, the state in which you operate has requested that you provide a staffing plan before it will issue licensure for your expanded capacity.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
Identify two (2) types of staffing models that could apply to your chosen scenario and determine which model would be best suited for efficiency, productivity, and possible future growth. Examine the significant effect of each identified staffing model on processes that may be occurring within the organization (e.g., outsourcing, contingent workers, consulting firms, etc.).
- Predict the major potential legal issues that you may encounter when establishing equal employment opportunities and diversity within the workplace while still aiming to acquire employees with the needed certifications and credentials. Next, explain the method of achieving transparency within your staffing model. Justify your response.
- Specify three (3) tasks that you need to perform to identify, analyze, and develop job requirements and task statements that you will include in formalized job descriptions. Next, predict the frequency with which you would need to review and adjust these job descriptions as your company progresses. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Describe three (3) methods to deal with high employee turnover and the availability of employees with required knowledge, skills, or abilities. Next, describe the primary manner in which the described succession-planning methods would be beneficial to your company. Justify your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Staffing Plan for a Small In-home Day Care – Sample Paper
This paper presents the staffing plan for a small in-home day care. The provided scenario indicates that the demographic population of the area in which in-home daycare is situated has been increasing following significant business growth. There is an expected influx of many families into the area, therefore, the need for expanded daycare business is inevitable. In-home daycare has, also, secured approval for a bank loan to support its expansion agenda. The state; however, requires in-home daycare to provide it with a staffing plan before issuing it with a license for an expanded facility.
Staffing Model to be applied to In-home Daycare
The two types of staffing models that can suit a growing daycare business are:
This is the staffing model that can enable the business find the right the people for the job and it ensures that they are found at the right time. Strategic staffing is different from the traditional approach and is more efficient because it upgrades the reactive process of staffing to a proactive one. It is efficient for addressing and defining the staffing implications of operational and strategic plans of an organization (Heneman & Judge, 2011). It focusses on critical issues and it is applicable to long-term context such the one expected in the case of in-home daycare. It, also, considers other activities of human resource that can enable strategic staffing such as classification and development of employees. Since in-home daycare anticipates to expand in the immediate future, strategic staffing will facilitate adjustment of overall staffing in order to satisfy the changing business issues.
4-Stage Staffing Process
This model bases on successive hiring, screening, selection, and provision of job to the qualified candidates. This model can be applicable in the day care scenario because of its suitability in hiring individuals to fill up different posts. As provided in the scenario, in-home daycare will require five certified daycare professionals, one registered nurse professional, five after school assistants, and one office professional. The following is the description of the 4-stage staffing process according to Heneman and Judge (2011):
- Stage 1 will entail prospecting where a joint interactive discussion will be held between the job applicant and the organization.
- Stage 2 is recruitment, which will entail locating the various potential applicants based on the requirements and qualification.
- Stage 3 is selection, which will entail evaluation of potential candidates and construction of evaluative matrix.
- Stage 4 is provision of employment where the final decision will be made to award the job to the qualified candidate.
There are a number of major potential legal issues that may be involved when establishing equal employment opportunities and increase diversity within the workplace. It is a legal requirement for employers to ensure that employees are offered a safe workplace environment that is free from intimidation, harassment and discrimination. In the given context of daycare for children aged between three and ten years, is possible that discrimination allegations can arise. In this regard; however, in-home daycare management intends to provide equal employment opportunities as stipulated in the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Gully & Phillips, 2010). Staffing will occur based on qualification of the potential candidates. In order to establish transparency in strategic staffing and 4-stage staffing process, the business will be under obligation to obey employment law, which prohibits discrimination against potential or current employees based on disability, sex, age, religion or race. To ensure transparency, ethical principles will be applied throughout the entire process of the staffing model.
There are three tasks that the director or owner of in-home day care will need to perform in order to identify, analyze, and develop job requirements and task statements that will be included in the formalized job descriptions. As highlighted by Latham (2011), the tasks include:
- Going through a typical day of the job and writing down all the components that constitute a specified task;
- Taking the task list and grouping comparable tasks into essential functions or job responsibilities; and
- Writing an accountability statement for every essential function or job responsibility to support talent management process.
As the company progresses, there will be need for reviewing and adjusting job descriptions, and this will happen on a regular basis depending on the following considerations:
- Upon establishment of a new position
- When an organizational change happens
- When there is a change in responsibilities assigned to particular position
- Whenever there are changes in technology or the working conditions
- On a periodic basis depending on the dynamic nature of the job
The company will embrace three essential strategies to reduce employee turnover as follows:
- Engaging employees – the company will ensure that there is high engagement with employees. The company will provide enough application tools to ensure a great environment in the daycare facility and help bolster higher engagement levels (Latham, 2011). The company management will endeavor to listen to employees as a way of fostering engagement with the workforce.
- Provision of post-hire support – the company will ensure that each employee has uniform and a badge on the first day. This will, also, entail holding performance discussion in order to set expectations (Latham, 2011). A mentor will, also, be assigned to the new employees in case they may experience difficulties.
- Paying attention to fit – the company people will ensure that the right people are hired by thinking through fit (Latham, 2011). This will discourage hiring people in a quick way and for the sake of it as it may result in hiring the wrong people.
The highlighted succession planning will benefit the company in a number of ways as follows (Latham, 2011):
- They will enable the owner of the business together with employees to have a helpful guide for conducting business.
- Succession planning will, also, play great role of strengthening departmental relationships.
- Succession planning will, also, maintain a buoyant mood in the company. This is because, change, being an essential constituent of a succession plan, can excite the mood by bringing unforeseen rewards to the company.
You can order a unique Sample Staffing Plan for a Growing Business , Small In-home Day Care or any other business at an affordable price.