Six Pillars Of United States Policing
PILLAR 1: BUILDING TRUST AND LEGITIMACY
- Building trust and nurturing legitimacy on both sides of the police-citizen divide is not only the first pillar of this task force’s report but also the foundational principle underlying this inquiry into the nature of relations between law enforcement and the communities they serve (Rosenfeld, & Fornango, 2014).
- Analysis indicated that policing has been improved by better equipping and better organized thus becoming more effective in crime tackling.
- However, public confidence in police has remained at its lowest especially population of color.
Read also Misconducts in Policing, Their Causal Factors and Strategies Used to Prevent Such Occurrences
PILLAR 2: POLICY AND OVERSIGHT
- In order for the police and law enforcers to perform their roles in accordance with the established policies, the policies must reflect the values of the community.
- The policy and oversight have to be clearly articulated to conform with the community needs and implemented in a transparent manner so that the people can have faith and increase credibility (Kohler-Hausmann, 2014).
- The most important aspect in regard to the policies of the law enforcement organization is the use of force.
- For example, law enforcers have use evidence-based practice to successfully manage demonstrators.
PILLAR 3: TECHNOLOGY AND SOCIAL MEDIA
- There is no doubt that we are living in a time when the technology is advancing more quickly, faster than the laws and policies.
- Studies have shown that proper use of technology by the police department such as body-worn cameras (BWC), social media and other myriad of products helps the police to build community trust and legitimacy (Tyler, & Jackson, 2014).
- Social media play important role in ensuring that the law enforcement organization engages with the community about the important issues affecting them.
- However, it is important to understand that while technology is crucial to the police, it is never a panacea.
PILLAR 4: COMMUNITY POLICING AND CRIME REDUCTION
- Researchers have identified that community policing is a philosophy that enhances organizational strategies that support the systematic use of partnership and problem-solving techniques to proactively address the immediate conditions that give rise to public safety issues such fear of crime, social disorders and crime (Reisig, et al., 2013).
- The use community policing in the United States has seen significant reduction in both property crime and violent.
- In order to make community policing effective and workable, the law enforcers must be trained and rooted on a very strong policies that promotes procedural justice.
Read also Community Policing Concept – Introduction to Law Enforcement Paper
PILLAR 5: TRAINING AND EDUCATION
- Considering that United States has become more of a pluralistic and the scope of the law enforcement and responsibility expands, there is need to have a better training.
- The officer on line must be equipped with knowledge and skills to tackle challenges such as growing mental health crisis, new cultural mores, changing laws, rising immigration, evolving technologies and international terrorism.
- In order for the law enforcement organization to acquire the requisite skills and knowledge the workforce requires high level of education and extensive ongoing training.
Read also Evolution of Policing and the Training and Skills For Success In Law Enforcement
PILLAR 6: OFFICER WELLNESS AND SAFETY
- The wellness and safety of law enforcement is not only important to the officer on line alone, but also to their colleague, other agencies and the public safety.
- Analysis have indicated that law enforcer are constantly at risks and encounters tragedy on a regular basis.
- This sixth pillar ensures that police officer and other law enforcers agencies operates in safe environment.
- This include tackling issues related to officer suicide and establishing strategies that helps to officers to emotionally, mentally and physically operate in safe environment.
Read also Stress in Policing – Sample Paper
Download full powerpoint presentation with speaker notes on six pillars of United States policing or order a unique presentation on any topic at an affordable price.
Order Unique Answer Now